What You Can Do for Someone with HD
November 24, 2021
HDYO has more information about HD available for young people, parents and professionals on our site:
Ever wondered how you can do more to help someone with Huntington's disease? Here's a list of simple things that may make a big difference.
- Maybe go to a sporting event together, or to a show that you all like.
- Make a big fuss over their birthday! Get them a special present.
- Draw a picture and show the person with Huntington's disease
- Write a poem for them, or to show how you feel.
- Create or do a puzzle the two of you can do together
- Play a game with the person with Huntington's disease. Do you have one that you both like?
- Go out for a walk with them, maybe around the local park or a favourite place.
- Compliment the person... tell them they look nice, everybody likes to be complimented!
- Do a fundraising event, perhaps with friends or family. Check out the fundraising section for ideas!
- Prepare a snack, lunch or meal for the person with Huntington's disease
- Help an adult prepare meals or snacks for the person with Huntington's disease
- Spend time with them, even if it is just sitting next to them for a while.
- Show them some of your schoolwork
- Watch a funny show or movie with the person with Huntington's disease, maybe they have a favourite show they would like to watch?
- Do your chores without being asked (this helps the adults be less grumpy!)
- Talk to the person with Huntington's disease about anything, such as what you have done that day, something fun you have been doing at school, at the weekends, a trip you went on etc.
- If you have photos of you and the person with Huntington's disease, make a scrapbook full of pictures of the two of you and give it to them.
- Take new pictures of yourself and the person with Huntington's disease together, make good new memories.
- Give them a hug :) so simple yet very effective.
Perhaps you have other ideas of fun things to do with someone who has Huntington's disease? If you do then let us know and we will add them to the list!